I signed up for a secret pal gift swap (knitters have them going all the time – such a fun idea and a great way to get to know people). So here is my quesionnaire:
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Love soft soft wool. Merino, alpaca, oooocashmere! I don’t like manmade fibres (acrylic, rayon etc), and not a huge fan of mohair (too sticky).
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have a Knit Picks Option set in the little black binder wallet thing. The long needles are all in a leather needle pouch a friend made for me. There are a few though sprinkled around as I have more needles than pouches for them.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I learned from a book when I was in University (it was Montse Stanley’s Reader Digest tome). Then I stopped, and started again about 3 years ago and haven’t looked back since. I think I’m intermediate/advanced. I can pretty much knit any pattern, but I am not so great at creating my own patterns!
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? No.
5. What’s your favorite scent? Orange blossom, or really nice chinese tea.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? Bernard Callebaut chocolate, but really my favourite sweet thing at the moment is fruit! Cherries particularly.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
Yup – caught the bug this year and got a Joy Ashford and have been spinning some lovely Yarn Yard roving. I like making cards (xmas cards, bday cards) but the past couple of years I have not been organised enough to do them.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I have an imac, it plays stuff from ITunes and I’m pretty sure MP3s too. I like pop, rock, jazz blues johnny cash, amy macdonald, spirit of the west, lisa ekhdahl, chilli peppers, I guess anything with a melody and nice beat.
9. What’s your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can’t stand? Red, Celery green, lime green, orange.. i think i like just about all bright pretty floral colours.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I have a black pug, Deuce.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Yes to all.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? Right now? Socks. Socks. And Socks!
13. What are you knitting right now? See answer to 12 above. Plus a cardigan and a little poncho (which has been languishing. I need to get that done)
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Lovely!
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? Depends on what I’m knitting.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Yes to yarn winder, no to swift.
17. How old is your oldest UFO? oh best not go there.
18. What is your favorite holiday? beach/pool, sun, and books, and nothing much else to do.
19. Is there anything that you collect? Illy cappuccino cups.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? I like Interweave Knits, Vogue Knitting, and would love to try some Crown Mountain Farm sock hop yarn.
21. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn? I’d like to knit more quickly!
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? Yup. 9.5 long, 8.5 inches wide at ball of my foot.
23. When is your birthday? 3 July.
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what’s your ID? I’m on the waiting list…. 6000 more people to go before me. So am waiting patiently….